Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fittings and Faust


Another week has past and my memorization of Faust is coming along. I didn’t use my music during this Monday’s rehearsal and I felt rather confident with the notes. I hope I had the majority of them right! I don’t have the new part memorized for words, but I think I have the notes locked in. Now I need to work on the dynamics and mood of the music. I know that will all fall into place when the principals come into town and we start staging, but it is nice to have the atmosphere set before we hit the rehearsal hall. The opera always takes on a whole different feeling when we put our bodies and minds into the moments we are performing.

The costume shop is up and running and most of the women have been fitted for their dresses. I was supposed to have gone last Friday but they were not ready for me so I still need to make an appointment this week. I know we are peasants so I don’t plan on having a beautiful gown; probably something brown or earth-tone. The nice thing about being a peasant is that the costumes are usually light-weight unlike the ball gowns we have to wear for shows like La Traviata. If the dress is very pretty it most likely will be cumbersome. As long as my Faust outfit doesn’t itch or pinch, I won’t complain.

2 comments:

  1. You were in La Traviata? Was that about two years ago? I saw that! It was my first opera I'd ever seen, and I LOVED it. That's what started my obsession with opera. =) I absolutely loved the costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The costumes for La Traviata were beautiful. I had a really pretty dress for Die Fledermaus also. It is fun to wear such opulent gowns, but it takes practice! My mother taught me to sew and I dabble in creating my own dresses when the mood strikes me. I need to go back to my sewing room in my house some day soon.

    ReplyDelete