Monday, April 27, 2009

Sunday Night Stumble Through

Last night was our first rehearsal on DeVos Hall stage with the set and most of the props. This was the night when we discovered that there are poles and stairs that we had not envisioned previously. I felt like everything went rather well. We had to re-work a few areas and place people differently on the stage at certain moments, but for the most part it seemed to function as planned. One scary aspect of this set is the platform which is made of steel grate with large holes. The women cannot wear heeled shoes so we all now have to get flats to go with our costumes. I will be trying out a couple of pairs of shoes tonight to see which will work best on the set. When the whole chorus climbs onto the platform it sways and some of us have found it a bit disconcerting, but so far we have not had a casualty.
I am feeling better about my knowledge of French; I can actually understand some of what the principals are singing without reading the libretto first. Some day I would like to be able to comprehend Italian and French well enough to follow a conversation. Fluently speaking French will take a while, but understanding the language is a big step for me. Once again I regret not taking French and/or Italian in college; but I was a theater major and never even dreamed of being an opera singer!
Tonight we are adding costumes and other technical aspects to the production. I am trying to get by on only 4 hours of sleep from last night so my goal is to stay alert and not make too many mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment