Tuesday, March 31, 2009

More French!




Just as I thought I was progressing with my music and language nicely, Maestro has added music for the women. The women are now singing along with the men on two pieces which should be fun. I prefer to have more to sing and do rather than less. The first piece we join in is the Chorale of the Swords when Mephistopheles is repelled with the broken sword held up as a cross. This is a powerful moment and full voices are definitely needed so I can see why Maestro would add the women. Most companies would use a chorus of 40 or 50 men, but we are confined to use only 24 so the additional 16 women will help with the double fortissimo that is called for in the score. The second men’s piece that we join is the Soldiers chorus. This is the music that is most recognizable (to me at least) from this opera and it is a great triumphal moment which, again, is double fortissimo. This extra music should not be too taxing and it should be fun to sing on stage. I am looking forward to starting staging in a couple of weeks when the Maestro and principals come into town. We have a shortened rehearsal period for this show, so we will be doing all the preliminary staging in four days rather than the normal eight, before we hit the DeVos Hall stage for the technical rehearsals. Things are going to get crazy real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment