Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Rapping with Donizetti


We had our last chorus rehearsal at the Church last night. On Wednesday we start staging at our rehearsal space which is a big empty building that used to be a sporting goods store. The principals have arrived in town and are enjoying the low temps and driving in the snow. Our “Adina” flew in from Texas. I hope she brought her long underwear with her! I met her last night and she is very lovely. I can’t wait to hear her, and the other principals, sing in rehearsal.
The chorus as a whole is plugging along on our music and language. I know a couple of choristers who are spending the entire day going over and over their music so they will feel comfortable when they have to do staging tomorrow. I am tentatively optimistic about my knowledge of the score. There are parts where I stumble, but I think I can make it through this week with “cue cards” in my hand. I saw a few other singers holding their cards last night so I know more of us are getting weaned off the full score. It can be intimidating to put down your binder and trust your memory. A lot of the language is repeated for the chorus and so is a lot of the theme music. Problems arise when the language repeats but the music changes slightly. This happens a few times and it is tricky to remember the changes. Sometimes it helps to work the staging into the music. I have been known to remember a musical change based on my stage position or the position of a principal. Being able to act out the music is very helpful to me. My degree is in Theater, so the acting always comes easier to me than singing or dancing and I can use characterization to help with rhythm and notes. Maestro Davis commented on my dancing in the church pew last night. I had to explain that it helps me keep up with the 16th notes if I put the rhythm into my body. I don’t think that our staging director, Matthew Lata, is going to appreciate my hip-hop, so I hope I can come up with a time period appropriate movement to go with the music. Until then, I will be “rapping with Donizetti”.

No comments:

Post a Comment