Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Finale


The Elixir of Love performed its magic. All the hard work and late nights finally paid off and we had a fun weekend run. I really did enjoy the performances and the performers who joined in the frolic of Donizetti. There were times when we were not sure how this was going to end; but at the final curtain we were all very proud of our little comedy. One of the hardest scenes that the women of the chorus had was what we called “chasing Nemorino”. After Gianetta informs us that Nemorino is now a millionaire, we all suddenly want his attention and chase him around the stage en masse. This was also affectionately referred to as “the amoeba” since we were grouped closely together. During rehearsals there were many times when we stepped on each others feet and even a time when Gianetta was almost trampled as she fell in the mass of women because someone had stepped on her foot and she had no where else to go but down. By the final dress rehearsal we had the scene worked out, with the help of soprano Kristin in the back of the pile directing traffic, and Nemorino dictating the flow with his movements. This was a scene that I dreaded in rehearsal, but became my favorite once we hit performance.
Now I am proud to write down Donizetti’s The Elixir of Love on my resume and seal it with a red kiss from the last bits of blood still left in me.
Salute!

1 comment:

  1. I saw this exact production (in Grand Rapids) -- it was excellent! I enjoyed it. In fact, I am now listening to a recording of The Elixir of Love because I loved the show. My friend (an opera noob) loved it too; she took some convincing to get there, but she really had a fun time. Anyway, just thought I'd write to let you know that the production you were in was fabulous. =)

    ReplyDelete